Almond & Orange Cake
Spanish Orange and Almond Cake (Gluten Free)
About this recipe: Made with whole oranges – simmered until very tender and then finely chopped – and ground almonds, this classic Spanish cake has a moist, light texture and a wonderful fresh flavour.
- 2 oranges, about 280 g (10 oz) in total, scrubbed and boiled them (with skin)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 200 g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 225 g (8 oz) ground almonds
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- sifted icing sugar to decorate
Prep:1hr › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr45min
- Put the scrubbed oranges in a small saucepan with 1 ½ cup of water, then cover and cook gently for about 1hour and 15 minutes or until the oranges are soft and excess liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF, gas mark 4). Line the bottom and sides of a 20 cm (8 in) and one 18 cm (7 in) spring form 2 cake tins with baking parchment. Finely chop the oranges in a food processor or blender, or with a large knife.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until they form stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in half the caster sugar, then whisk for 1 minute.
- Using the same whisk, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining caster sugar in another bowl for 2–3 minutes or until pale and quite thick. Whisk in the finely chopped oranges, then carefully fold in the ground almonds.
- Stir in 3 spoonfuls of the whisked egg white to loosen the mixture, then gently fold in the remaining whites with a large metal spoon. Divide the mixture to the prepared tin and level the top. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes or until the cake is golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Check the cake after 20 minutes and again at 30 minutes, and cover lightly with foil if it is browning too quickly.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, then turn it out, peel away the lining paper and transfer to a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar before serving. The cake can be kept in an airtight tin for up to 3 days.